Friday, 11 May 2012

Who Do You Think You Are?

It's time for challenge #65 at CACB and this time it's called Hide and Seek - there should be something hidden on your project. This is quite a picture heavy post, but I hope you'll think it's worth it. I was inspired to do this one when I was looking through some old photos a few days ago and found the central one on the page.


The Pearly King suit was made by my late Grandmother and was worn for the local carnival by all four of her sons and then one of her grandson's (my brother) as they grew into it. My first thought when I looked at it was that it was of my brother but when I read the letter that my Aunt had sent with it, it turns out to be my Dad! I shouldn't be surprised really, because there are some very strong resemblances within the family and this page was conceived with the idea of illustrating that. The top one of the two smaller photos is the brother  I had thought was in the Pearly King outfit and the lower one is my youngest nephew (my sister's son) who didn't get to meet his lovely granddad but who is so much like him in temperament as well as looks, they could have been cloned!


This led my thoughts on a bit further and I decided to make the page a tribute to Dad. Writing the tribute was a very emotional experience, so rather than have it out on the open page ready to capture the album reader unawares I made a little book to house it. It's held shut by a flower shaped pearly button. You can see it opened out below.




It's a 12x12 page and apart from the black card stock, the button, the heart on the front of the book and the letters for the title, everything has come from the Imperial Purple SB Kit. One of the things I love about digital items is the ability to change the size and shape of elements and that is what I did to create the frames for the photos. I distressed the edges of the 4 squares and the paper behind the smaller photos and that one simple thing made a huge difference to way the page looks. The alphabet dies are from x-cut and the button and the heart are both from my stash.
I'm entering my page into these challenges:
Thank you for visiting today, do check out the fabulous work from the rest of the DT and I hope you'll be inspired to join us.


14 comments:

  1. They're fabulous photos Ann and you've done a great layout with them. Thanks too for joining our first challenge at Happy Scrappers, hope to see you next month too :) Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely gorgeous and beautifully personalised layout. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this time. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous project and lovely to be able to use these amazing photos and really love how you have framed them. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layout Ann and love the little book, thank you so much for joining us on our first challenge of *Anything Goes* at The Happy Scrappers and hope you will join us again
    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning & a gorgeous keepsake to have!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Delightful Challenges this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous project. Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Passion.

    Helen (GDT member) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful page and the your little book is a wonderful idea. Love the ornate frame behind it too.
    Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful page and lovely photos! Thanks for taking part in our first Happy Scrappers challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful page Ann, loving the purple colours & the pearly king photos are superb. Gorgeous memorial page to your Dad.
    Thanks for joining in with the THS challenge
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful vintage photos, a lovely treasured keepsake

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, this is a wonderful tribute to your card. He looks so handsome in the pearly suit. Of course it is all set off perfectly with the new Imperial Purple kit!!! Best wishes, Kymxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Ann this is just gorgeous, love all the beautiful photo's and the colours you have chosen, lovely tribute to your Dad. Thank you so much for sharing it with us at OLLCB this week.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous pages hun..
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a super tribute to your Dad on this fabulous LO.Brilliant idea withe the little book.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

I'm always thrilled to receive your comments, thank you for taking the time to leave them x