Tuesday, 22 November 2011

A Tale of Three Challenges.......




I have two cards to show you today - it didn't start out that way, but events ended up dictating! You see, I had one of those times when I was looking through challenges and a card started to form in my head inspired by three of them and as each challenge played it's part, it changed a little......
I started out with Less is More, who want silhouettes on our cards this week and I was already mentally reaching for my Joanna Sheen's Dancing With Shadows CD.....then I saw new challenge at Christmas Card Challenges which is black and white so decided to go with one of the Christmas images. Seeing as I was planning to use a CD, I thought I'd check out the challenge at CD Sunday while I was at it and saw that their challenge is trees. So far so good........but then the creative side of my brain woke up and things went a little awry! I decided it might be nice to add whatever image I chose to a frame and went to and fro between several before deciding that I rather liked the top one. The original image has a green background  so I removed that in photoshop.......then thought I'd see what happened if I had a bit of a play with bevel and emboss and drop shadow and I was really quite taken with the effect so I sorted out the frame part and I was good to go. Have you spotted the flaw in this plan yet???? That's right, having spent quite a bit of time getting it how I wanted it, it dawned on me that the image doesn't have any trees!!! Back to the CD I went and this time made sure I chose one with trees! In this instance, the background is already white but I cleared it anyway so that I could do the same thing with the bevel and emboss and drop shadow. I like this effect because it helps to give the image some dimension and like a lot of us here in the UK, I'm keeping my cards flatter this year because of the horrendous cost of posting them. Anyway, I liked the first image so much that I decided to make both cards up. Less is More and Christmas Card Challenges can have both and CD Sunday can have just the bottom one :o) The sentiment is one of my favourites and has been stamped with versamark and embossed with a black sparkle ep that I've had for ages and forgotten about. I printed them off onto glossy paper and added glitter to various parts of the images. I think you'll see this better if you enlarge the pics.
Thank you for visiting today, and remember my warning - if you want to enter a challenge you need to keep the brief in mind!! lol!



18 comments:

  1. Lovely cards - both stunning in b & w - great contrast x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two absolutely fabulous cards Ann, love them both.
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ann, what lovely cards. Thank you for joining us at CD Sunday this week.
    Jocelyn
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both fab cards Ann, love your frames. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful cards Ann, I love the black and white images on the spotty background. I'm trying to keep my cards flatter this year also.

    Sue x (GD CD Sunday)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two stunning cards Ann, I love the black and white
    Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both great cards Ann, but I prefer the second one as it looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anne. I love both the cards but must admit to my eyes glazing over when I got to bevels, embosses and drop shadows. We don't those in my parchment world. But glad you chose the same Cd as I did - one of my own favourites.
    Thank you for joining us at Cd Sunday.
    Carol
    xx
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann both of these cards are stunning, love the black and white and the image on the second one is one of m favourites for Christmas on this cd.
    Jenny x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cards, the black and white looks really effective!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  11. These images work really well in black and white Ann! I especially like the second one with that brilliant sledging scene. Vx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous black and white Christmas card! I love it! So glad you joined us for this weeks CCC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. two gorgeous B & W cards, I'm glad i'm not the only one who has forgotten a vital element, I have before now forgotten I had to use something from a CD, when making my DT card and had to start again, thanks for sharing with us at CD Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both lovely cards Ann and it is fun getting carried away by the creative spirit is it not.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous
    EVer so slightly layered for us, but stunning nevertheless
    Sincere apologies for being so late acknowledging your entry
    thank you so much
    mandi
    Diva LIM

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both stunning Ann - thanks for joining the CD Sunday Challenge.

    Wendy -x-

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! this is so stunning and classy!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'm always thrilled to receive your comments, thank you for taking the time to leave them x