Friday, 6 May 2011

CACB #40

 

Well not to put too fine a point on it, it's been quite a week! I really thought that for the first time since we started the challenge, I wasn't going to be able to get my sample card done. I finally managed to finish it off this morning. The reason that I'm so behind with it is because my beautiful 10yr old nephew and niece were involved in a riding accident last weekend when they were on a long weekend break with their parents at Centre Parcs. It would seem that there was a shotgun fired on the nearby Lowther estate which 'spooked' the horses and they were thrown. My niece has cuts, grazes and bruises and seems to feel that she got off fairly lightly but my nephew had to airlifted to hospital with a broken upper left arm just below the shoulder and a broken right lower leg which at this moment is in a full length cast. They are at home but it's all go atm. I'd just like to insert a HUGE THANK YOU! to the Great North Air Ambulance for whom my sister has nothing but praise.These wonderful people receive no official funding at all and rely on donations to find the £3.6m they need each year to provide this vital service for Cumbria, the North East and North Yorkshire. If you'd like to show your support and gratitude, follow this link to their facebook page.

Now onto my slightly belated card. Our theme this fortnight at CACB is Happy Birthday! I've used a new digi called H on Accoustic. The bps are from the woodgrain collection and the embossed dots collection, both from the earth tones. I've slightly distressed the edges of these with Brilliance galaxy gold. The main image was coloured with a mixture of digital paper piecing (tutorial here) for the sky, bandana, shirt and jeans and then coloured digitally in photoshop using my new wacom bamboo pen & touch. Colouring like this isn't a quick option and I need a lot more practise, but it's a great tool and it's great having so many different shades of colour.


I've finished off with a See D's stamp for the greeting and some homemade gold mirri 'brads'. 
I'm also entering my card into these challenges:
Thank you for dropping by today and I hope you have a less eventful fortnight and get the opportunity to join us.

15 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your neice and nephew and hope they make a full recovery very soon.

    Love your card and the image you used. Great male card !

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Challenge this week.

    Hugs,

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ann, your poor niece and nephew, what a frightening thing to happen.
    Sending best wishes to you all.
    I wondered what had happened when I saw your card missing but well done on getting it finished in spite of your family upset.
    A great card, Ann - super digi colouring and paper piecing - very clever :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super card Ann and well done for finishing it despite all the upset this week. I hope this week is calmer for you. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, hope your niece and nephew are getting stronger day by day. It's an awful shock when you go away for some rest and family time and then end up with something like this happening. I'm surprised that you even managed to get a card done but it's fab. I set up the stall tonight and guess the charity I've chosen? Unfortunately too many businesses have moved out of there so it's unlikely to make much at all but I'll keep it as my charity until I've sold c£30-£35 of cards. It's not much but it's something. take care. sending cyber hugs to you all. Kym xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super card Ann, I really like the quartered background and your colouring is so clever. Hope the children continue to improve.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super card Ann!!
    thanks for Cooking it up with Katie this week hope to see you next time too
    hugs
    laney

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about the accident - hope they recover soon. Your card is super. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card Ann, love how you have coloured using your digi papers, must have a go at your tutorial
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful creation, thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations

    Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous card Ann love the image and the paperpiecing thanks for joining us at sketch n stash hugs Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card Ann, cool paper piecing and such a masculine design! I hope your niece & nephew are recovering...must have been very frightening for them :( Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear - I do hope your nephew and niece are recovering from their trauma poor things!!
    Your card is fabulous, such a great scene and fantastic paper piecing!!

    So glad you could join us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge,
    hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantastic card!

    sending extra recovery-hugs to your nephew and niece!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your card. thanks for joining us at Cooking it up with Katie

    ReplyDelete

I'm always thrilled to receive your comments, thank you for taking the time to leave them x