Friday, 22 April 2011

CACB Challenge #39


I can't believe that it's time for another challenge at Crafty Ann's already! It's true what they say about time speeding up........
Anyway, on to the card. I'm getting well ahead because this one is for our GS's 19th birthday in June. Our theme this time is Fancy Folds - these can be the card itself or on the card - or both, as I've done here. The folds don't have to be complicated and I've chosen an easel card. I decided to keep it fairly simple colour wise and let the tartan take the lead.
The image is new to the shop and came about as the result of a request - something to reflect the energy of traditional scottish music! I must admit to being stumped at first so I did what I always do in this situation, and left the thought to 'ferment'. Sure enough, part way through an episode of NCIS, this image started to form in my head. I was a scottish dancer for 10 years and I think that's where the idea started and 'Fit as a Fiddle'  was born!
I shrank a piece of the tartan paper (from Collection 1) in photoshop and digitally paper pieced the kilt and the Tam O' Shanter. (There's a tut for digital paper piecing here if you want it.)  If you shrink rather than crop the paper, the pattern reduces too to make it the right size for the image. I coloured the rest of the image using promarkers.
I used the same tartan at normal size for my backing papers and made the piece for the easel into a frame. The stamp in the bottom right hand corner is a quotation by Mark Twain and the rubber stamp is from Sweet Pea. It doesn't show in the picture but the black card on the base has been put through the c/bug argyle folder and the sentiment, which is one of the three on the Fit as a Fiddle sheet, has been cut out with a nesties label die. A few black pearls and some homemade 'brads' finish it off.
I'm also entering my card into these challenges:
Thank you for dropping by today and I hope you'll get the chance to join us for this challenge.

10 comments:

  1. Ann this is brilliant - I watch NCIS but I don't seem to end up creating stuff like this. Must be watching the wrong episode.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh what a fabby card and lovely image - off to the shop right now. Love NCIS but it doesn't seem to inspire my crafty side! Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card, I like the Scottish design!!
    Thanks for joining The Pixie Cottage
    Adrina XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann. LOL...I rather like NCIS too - not that I always get to watch it...LOL. Like your paper too and goes so well with your image. Thanks for joining us at I ♥ Promarkers.
    Tine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very stylish card Ann :) Great image, love the tartan and the sentiment is fab!

    Thanks so much for joining us at I ♥ promarkers this week,

    hugs

    xxalisonxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ann, you're so inventive, who else could have thought of this? and it's absolutely perfect!
    lol Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's smart and nice! =)
    thanks for joining us at THE PIXIE COTTAGE
    hugs
    sadia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun image and love the plaid! Thanks for sharing with us at The Pixie Cottage this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab image, perfect papers, thank you for joining us at I ♥ Promarkers this week
    Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! great card with the plaid.Thanks for sharing and joining us this week at Going Grey with Scrap-Creations.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always thrilled to receive your comments, thank you for taking the time to leave them x