Friday, 20 February 2009

Functional and Beautiful?

Click on images to enlarge

I've made this box for me - it's lovely to make something with yourself in mind sometimes. I'm a partially reformed hoarder and am trying to live by the maxim that something should be functional, beautiful or both to merit house room - I hope with this one I've achieved both! I am a member of a stamped image swap and also have a fair few images ready for use from when I did the rubber stamping tutorial for adding colour and need somewhere to keep them.
I created the background card using alcohol inks and then overstamping. Then I created a tag to put on top. The flowers are from the elusive images floral fantasy themeplate and layered up, The small tag was topped off with a shrink plasic bow coloured with sakura clear stardust pen. The corner scroll stamp is from umount and clear embossed.


This box has been inspired by my lovely and hugely talented friend Frankie who creates the most fabulous mixed media collage pieces - I don't kid myself that I come anywhere close yet, but I throughly enjoyed myself playing with this one. I made the tag from another piece of the alcohol ink background card and used silver, gold and clear embossing powders to 4 layers before stamping into it with an elusive images stamp. I did this one the old fashioned way with a heat gun but I would have got a much better result if I'd used my melt pot. This close up just about shows it though.


I just had to try to show you this bit because it took me by surprise. I'm still fairly new to alcohol inks and am still playing and learning. After the card I had created was dry i decided to overstamp using colorbox wisteria fluid chalk ink - some I embossed while it was still wet and some I allowed to dry naturally. The parts that dried naturally changed and I got this white outline which actually looks pretty good so I don't know whether the chalk ink reacted with the alcohol inks or the blending solution I used - which was waterless gel hand cleanser of the type used in hospitals. Which ever it was, it gives me another effect!! lol!
I'm happy to say that my box also fits the following challenges:
Thanks for stopping by today and sticking with the post this long!

21 comments:

  1. Wow oh wow, oh wow!!!! It's really beautiful and should look great every time you go to your stamped images!!

    Ann, THANKS from the bottom of my heart, for your wonderful comment about me, here. I am very honoured by your words.
    Love and light
    Frankie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely beautiful Ann and so many different techniques too and it's useful. What more could you ask?
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful box!! You should be very proud of it. Thanks for joining us at The Pink Elepant this week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just wonderful Ann - so detailed and well just wow. What a really special place to store your stamped images.

    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful project! Thanks for taking the Created byhand Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Ann, I don't know about functional but it certainly is Beautiful. | love it.
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful, I love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning Ann,love everything about it.

    Hugs Sandie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great combo of challenges and a stunning piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is stunning.
    Brilliant work. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness what a lot of work you put into this. It looks brilliant.
    Jacqui xx (Calexico)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Ann I a gobsmacked, totally gorgeous and stunning. Your box is gorgeous.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ann that is so beautiful and functional too, love the colours.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is really lovely
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Ann, I am afraid I wouldn't like to use it as I would be afraid of damaging such a wonderful work of art.
    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely stunning! I agree, it's nice to make something for oneself on occasion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lot of work, but how rewarding to make something for yourself...i like that idea :)
    Thank you for joining in with our challenge and good to see something other than a card!

    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely thing to make for yourself! And a great idea, I think I might spoil myself like that as well, cheaper than shopping right ;o) Thank you for playing in the Double Dutch challenge :D!

    Hugs,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful swirly patterns in this...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!! Love the colors ..stunning!!

    TFS...

    ReplyDelete

I'm always thrilled to receive your comments, thank you for taking the time to leave them x